Jun 262012

Update: 5:00pm… I think I figured it out!

The feeds are up and running. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.  :)

In short, here’s what I need help with:

Currently, my http://www.dumbdomme.com/feeds/posts/default encounters a “fetching error.” I’d like to somehow redirect all of my feeds to the same place (I assume that should be the Feedburner feed at feeds.feedburner.com/DumbDomme) or otherwise consolidate(?) them. I’d like to do all of this without losing my current feeds/posts/default subscribers or Feedburner subscribers.

The situation and details:

UPDATE: 4pm, I’ve changed a fuck ton of stuff backwards and forwards. Here’s where it stands now:

  1. added a custom redirect to my .htaccess file [added the line *redirect /feeds/posts/default http://dumbdomme.com/feed*]. It seems http://www.dumbdomme.com/feeds/posts (blogger) now redirects to dumbdomme.com/feeds (wordpress)
  2. changed my Feedburner settings to original feed: dumbdomme.com/feeds 
  3. changed my Blogger settings to not direct the feed anywhere
  4. I’m also using the Blogger 301 Redirect plugin on WP.

Google Reader is still showing “fetching error” when it tries to update. However, clicking directly on the link http://www.dumbdomme.com/feeds/posts does automatically redirect to dumbdomme.com/feeds 

I have a feeling it’s stuck in some sort of endless redirect loop.

(I’m not sure what details/settings are important, so some of the stuff below might be irrelevant): Since August 2011, my Blogger blog has always had it’s own domain–www.dumbdomme.com. When I subscribed to DumbDomme.com in Google Reader, the feed was http://www.dumbdomme.com/feeds/posts/default.

In November 2011, I burned a Feedburner feed using http://www.dumbdomme.com/feeds/posts/default as the “original feed.” Here’s what it looks like now:

 A week ago, I got hosting (through GoDaddy, the same place where I got the custom domain) and I’ve switched over to the WordPress.org platform.

Currently, Google Reader tries to read http://dumbdomme.com/feeds/posts/default and tells me a “fetching error” has occured. If I go to that address in a browser, I get a 404 error.

I’ve tried the “FeedBurner FeedSmith Extend” plugin and the “FD Feedburner Plugin” and neither seemed to work, but I don’t know if I set them up correctly. I tried modifying the .htaccess file, but I assume I did it incorrectly because it took the whole site down (I changed it back to the original and the site is up again).

I also changed a couple of settings back and forth on my Blogger account. Here’s the current (relevant?) settings:

The request:

How do I consolidate or redirect my feeds without losing current subscribers? I’ve tried some things (the plugins, .htaccess file, changing various settings), but I’m not sure if I did them/configured them correctly.

Can anyone suggest what to do? If you’ve switched from Blogger to WP or otherwise successfully redirected your feeds, how did you do it? Any resources, instructions, or suggestions are appreciated.

Feel free to leave a comment or email me at [email protected] If you need extra information about settings or other stuff, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.


  8 Responses to “Help Wanted (redirecting feeds)”

  1. What websites have you tried for advice already? A Labnol link seems relatively straightforward.

    Also, your Twitter is down. :(

  2. Okay, your Twitter works afaik. I forgot to turn the JS on. *sheepish*

    I haven’t used this, but it looks relatively straightforward: http://www.labnol.org/internet/switch-from-blogger-to-wordpress/9707/

    which is old but must be getting hits regularly. I don’t know that you need to do all the Google wrangling, though.

    If it gets any harder, maybe do what others do, and instead of redirecting, leave the blogger site up as /blogspot/ and a link to the new site, and a note to readers to update their feeds settings?

    I’m on the run but I’ll sit down and take a better look at it later.

    • @DomDomme: I’d like to do the redirect–most people won’t do the manual update and besides, since I had a custom domain since the beginning, no one will go to the blogspot address anymore.

      I checked out the source you mentioned–the only thing it said in regards to feeds is going to blogger and redirecting it to the WP feed address. I did that, and it doesn’t seem to be working (still getting a fetching error), but I’ll give it a couple of hours.

      Thanks for the suggestions!

    • I tried that yesterday. I did switch my Feedburner original feed settings to http://www.dumbdomme.com/feeds/ It didn’t work for me, but I’m not sure it wouldn’t have worked if I didn’t already mess with so many other settings and stuff.

      If I could consolidate the Blogger feed and WP feed into one Feedburner feed, it might work, but that’s not possible. :)

      I’m going to take a break and see if anything I tried magically works in the next hour or so. I’ll keep you updated. If that doesn’t work, I’ll go back and change the Original feedburner feed back to the WP feed and see what happens.

      Expect drunken mumbling by 8pm and sloppy sloshed yelling by 10pm. :)

  3. I think you’ve got it now. Congrats! :)

  4. Hola! I’ve been following your blog for a while now and finally got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from Austin Tx!
    Just wanted to mention keep up the excellent work!

 Leave a Reply